WELCOME TO PROJECT FARMHOUSE A sustainability and education center here in New York. Finally, GrowNYC will have a permanent, public home from which to serve all New Yorkers. Project Farmhouse will create community for all ages around a range of free and affordable workshops, exhibits, hands-on youth education and special events.
Located next to the renovated Hyatt Hotel Union Square in Manhattan, beginning in 2016, Project Farmhouse will be a home for dynamic programming, which will take place throughout the day and evenings, and on some weekends.
This is our Dream. Help us Build It.
Hammers are swinging at Project Farmhouse! We look forward to opening our doors to you.
In keeping with GrowNYC's environmental ethos, the design of the space embraces a principal of minimal intervention, reducing landfill waste from demolition and requiring fewer new materials. For example, instead of a typical dropped ceiling, Project Farmhouse will employ hanging acoustical baffles made from recycled plastic. In fact, recycled materials are used extensively: wall paneling and conference table from salvaged wood, as well as countertops, carpet and acoustic panels made with recycled content. All light fixtures use energy-saving LEDs, and occupancy sensors and controls further reduce energy consumption. And plumbing fixtures minimize water usage, including water-saving toilets and low-flow aerators on faucets.
- Modern, farm-inspired design by ORE Technology
- A custom kinetic hydroponic wall designed by City Hydroponics features a new proprietary system designed to reduce both energy usage and water consumption
- A state-of-the-art induction kitchen by Boffi and Gaggenau featuring re-engineered lava from an active volcano in Italy used for countertops and backsplashes
- A farm-inspired entry archway using repurposed wood beams from Brooklyn by M Fine Lumber
- Solar tubes pull light in to naturally light education / conference area
INSTALLATION AT UNION SQUARE!
In November New Yorkers got a close up sneak peak of Project Farmhouse when they walked through the Arch Installation sponsored by TD Bank up for one week at our Union Square Greenmarket.
Read about it in AMNY
The Arch was generously sponsored by TD Bank, designed by Interbrand and Shift Space Design, and made with repurposed tubes generously manufactured for, and donated by, Pratt Industries.